Monday, October 11, 2004

A second Journalistic chance

Today I went to my English Literature class at PBCC. Last week, I think I may have mentioned something about a girl named Jennifer. I guess it could be said that I kind of liked her.

I found out that she's the editor-in-chief of the PBCC Student Government Association newsletter. She asked me if I would be interested in proffering my writing services. I had wanted to get back involved in some sort of formal writing. So I decided to accept her offer and become one of two writers for the newsletter. I'm expecting an e-mail later tonight on what my duties would entail.

In talking to Jennifer, I was struck by one thing. In terms of journalistic philosophy, she is the polar opposite of Jessica Burke. Burke, if you remember, was one of the writing leaders at Dwyer High School. Jennifer talked about how she felt there needed to be a complete team effort. On the other hand, Burke took it all on herself and didn't rely on the talent working alongside her. I see this SGA Newsletter as a chance to exorcise my demons from HS Newspaper class. HS Journalism was a lot of fun, but the quality wasn't that great. Jennifer discussed with me how the position or title doesn't matter if the publication isn't sound.

I'm hoping that this can be an all-around good experience. I'll be sure to update on how things go with Jennifer and the publication in general.

-Taylor

2 Comments:

Blogger E. Antonio Cioffoletti said...

Go Taylor! Let us all know how well this goes.

A word of caution though: be careful about coming onto her at the workplace. It might be better to wait until you are outside of the realm of journalism. You should get that chance.

Joining the SGA newspaper really should provide you with a lot of good expiriences though. You'll make some friends and get some work in as a journalist.

October 11, 2004 at 12:57 PM  
Blogger Taylor said...

Advice taken.

This project is more about the journalism than it is any person. Journalism class is okay, but it doesn't substitute for real world experience.

October 11, 2004 at 1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home