Friday, September 24, 2004

Hurricane Jeanne

Residents of South Florida are bracing for their second hurricane in the span of three weeks. Fortunately, the devastating Hurricane Ivan left my area of Florida unscathed.

Three weeks ago to the night, we were preparing for the landfall of Hurricane France(s). Tonight, I am having to make plans to avoid a direct hit from Jeanne. Everywhere from Boca Raton to the Treasure Coast is under the threat of Hurricane force winds. I'm told that residents of Central Florida, including tourist haven Orlando, are also in danger of experiencing effects of Jeanne.

I'm waiting until the last possible minute to make my plans. I could go back down to my cousin's in Boynton Beach. At least I would be with a few other people. The other option is to stay at my Aunt's house in Jupiter. She's chartered a jet to New Orleans and won't be back for days. The power situation has been better in her area than it was in ours.

We're still unsure about the Pittsburgh Steelers vs. Miami Dolphins game, scheduled for 1:01 Sunday afternoon. There is no feasible way for this game to be made up during a later week. I can't see how this game comes off Sunday afternoon. The NFL's actions lead me to believe that they want to play this Sunday, if at all possible. It's unfair to give Pittsburgh and Miami only a few days to prepare for Week 4. Unfortunately, the game will have to be played either Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday. Barring a total catastrophe, this game will be played sometime during the next four days. I actually would like to see a Monday Night game.

Hopefully our house makes it out allright. The roof is already compromised from France(s). One good thing is that our carpet is gone, so we won't have to worry about that. Power was knocked out for ten days in the aftermath of Frances. This semester at FAU and other institutions has been a disaster. I could see another week lost if Jeanne makes landfall in PBC.

I'll update my blog as Internet access permits. To all my Florida readers (all one or two of them), be sure to stay safe.

-Taylor

1 Comments:

Blogger E. Antonio Cioffoletti said...

I've been to the store to buy sodas and spam and chips. Frankly, I still feel woefully underprepared. But what am I to do? I really should have done research on shelters and stuff!

I'll be staying in Orlando in this Riverwind Apartment. There won't be anything covering the windows. I don't even know what my roommates are going to be doing! This move might be my undoing.

I'm glad to see you are staying safe. Stay close to your family and friends Taylor. Hopefully I'll be okay here in Orlando and I'll pray the same for you.

September 25, 2004 at 2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home