Friday, September 03, 2004

Gender gap in Journalism

As you might be able to tell, I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel for entries this evening. These are entries that I forgot to do this week. Much like the traditional Friday news dump, I'm including unmemorable stories that will likely fade from your consciousness as Hurricane Frances approaches.

It's interesting that so few men are in my Communication/Journalism courses this year. The study is hardly scientific. I have no clue how many of my classmates are actually Journalism majors. I counted this on one specific day, so the actual enrollment may vary slightly from day to day.

JOU 3101- News and News Reporting
Female: 15
Male: 4

That translates to
Female: 79 %
Male: 21 %


Mass Communication Theory
Female: 16
Male: 6

Female: 73 %
Male: 27 %

I'm wondering where all the up-and-coming Chris Matthews and Frank Cerabinos are. I sadly predict that we'll see another generation of Norah O'Donnell's and Chris Jansing's. This isn't to say that there aren't competent female journalists, but many TV ones get by on their dashing looks. Sad!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home