Wednesday, September 15, 2004

My urban experience

Last night, I was driving down Military Trail and decided I needed to buy a few groceries. I desired to purchase some milk, butter, and IBC root beer. Unwittingly, I walked into what was a rather uncomfortable experience.

I parked me car at the Winn Dixie, on the corner of 45th Street and Military. I walked out and went inside the grocery store. I hope I'm not being offensive here, but I was the only white guy in the place. I went aisle after aisle, waiting to see even one caucasian. Eventually, I did see one in the soda aisle, but that was it.

I don't wish to sound like a racist here. However, it was the only time I had frequented an establishment of that much color. More than anything, I thought of how the minorities in my High School classes must have felt. It took predominantly advanced and honors classes. There might have been one or two minority students in a class. I used to wonder how it would have felt being the only person of color in a room.

Eventually, I did get my refreshments and butter. I walked into the place with $20, and left with that same amount of money, minus what was spent on groceries. I didn't get mugged or anything sinister like that.

In fear of saying anything potentially offensive, I'll leave my remarks as is.

2 Comments:

Blogger E. Antonio Cioffoletti said...

I feel weird going into black neighborhoods. Usually concerns aren't justified. Let's face it: the odds of something bad happening to you (even in a bad neighborhood) are still low.

I usually shy away from all-black stores. I'm not so bad as to "never go south of Northlake Blvd. however.

September 15, 2004 at 5:47 PM  
Blogger Taylor said...

The local folk were quite congenial with me. I got several compliments on my Florida Gators jersey.

September 15, 2004 at 7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home