Thursday, July 15, 2004

Brief Preview

First, I am pleased to see that the first comments have been posted on my blog tonight. Hopefully there will be more where that came from.

Tomorrow I plan to unveil my review of Michael Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11.". It's fully written, but I want to save the majority for tomorrow. Here is a brief preview:

------------------------------------------------------------------

Almost three weeks after its premiere, Fahrenheit 9/11 has proven to be a record setting documentary. As of today, the movie has pulled in an astounding $90 million dollars. Moore, much like radio host Al Franken, was able to parlay censorship into priceless publicity. A month before its release, the Disney Corporation decided to withdraw from the project. Disney publicly stated that they did not want to be involved in a divisive Election Year controversy. Of course, Moore countered by connecting Disney’s decision to the corporation’s tax breaks received from Florida Governor John Ellis “Jeb” Bush. Whatever the motivation, Moore’s film garnered a massive amount of media attention. The hype assured that another company, in this case the Weinstein Brothers would distribute the nearly two-hour documentary. Adding to the anticipation was the fact that F911 received the prestigious Palme d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival in France. F911’s opening weekend, June 25-27, brought in a record $22 million. This eclipsed the total from his previous project, the highly acclaimed “Bowling for Columbine”. Without doubt, the film has been a success and Moore will no longer be forced to mortgage his house to make a movie, as he did in the late 80’s with “Roger and Me”.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I plan to comment on the Federal Marriage Amendment (or FMA) that was dismissed today in the Senate by a vote of 50-48. I will either write my own entry or link to a great piece I saw written on the subject yesterday.

Finally, a brief update on my first candidate of the day, Barack Obama of Illinois. Tonight, Mike Ditka formally declined to run for Senate on the GOP side. That means Obama likely will face only a perfunctory challenge. Today it was also revealed that Obama will be the keynote speaker at the Democratic National Convention, to be held July 26-29. Congrats to him.

Night everyone. As always, feel free to comment or contact me via the manner listed in my profile. Hopefully I'll have a pic up shortly.

-Taylor

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home