Thursday, October 21, 2004

A Sacrilegious Day

I could also title this post “Fuck the USPS (Part II). As I wrote about yesterday, the Post Office declined to take our stamped Aronberg for Senate direct mailings. Since it was the larger 8 ½ by 11” sheet, we had to place additional 12 cents postage on each mailing. You wonder how long that takes? Well, even if you don’t care, I’ll tell you anyway.

I tried to call in some favors to no avail. It became clear that we would be forced to manually place the 12 cents on each of the 1300 letters. I told Adriana and Michelle that I would be down after my Exam ended. So, around 3:00, I once again drove down to the campaign offices in Lake Worth. We share a place with the Kerry for President workers. They rented an additional room for canvassers, giving us more space.

For literally three hours straight, Adriana and I did nothing but place stamps on letters. To make up the 12 cents, we had to use one 10-cent stamp and 2 penny stamps. Don’t think that the job was over with. At 6:30, we did take a break to eat some pizza. Michelle ordered from the New York Style Pizza restaurant on Lake Worth. I was given the unenviable task of picking up the delivery. I feared for my life walking into that restaurant. I continued to wear my BOSTON Red Sox jersey in a New York pizza place. I was waiting for one of the cooks to spit in our cheese pizzas. Fortunately, I didn’t notice any saliva adorning the pizza.

We got about 15 minutes of break and then proceeded to get back to working. We worked for another non-stop hour. I’m not saying it was excruciating work, but it got a bit boring. We talked and laughed some, but mostly suffered and the hand of thousands of stamps.

Finally, some relief came at about 7:30. One of Adriana’s friends brought us in a 12-pack of Bud Light. Oh how that was a sight for sore eyes. I had divulged earlier in the day that I was not of legal drinking age, so I thought they might not let me consume any. But they did and I proceeded to have a couple of Bud Lights. I felt sort of bad, considering it was my one-month anniversary with Jack Daniels. One month ago tonight I was introduced to Jack. I wonder how he’d feel to see me celebrating with another beverage. Even though I was gulping down the Budweiser, my heart remains with Jack. How I long until we meet again, fair ole’ Jack.

Maybe sacrilegious is too strong a word. I’m just not sure if campaign headquarters is the place to be getting buzzed off the Bud Light. It was funny when somebody came in trying to take pictures of campaign workers. Michelle saved us by saying, “Get out! We have liquor”. I’m sure the Kerry campaign would love to have pictures out of underage drinking at their PBC headquarters. Seriously though, the photographers were on our side and would have never taken such a picture. I guess there’s nothing really wrong with drinking on the job. It sure makes the task much more enjoyable.

We ended up getting out of there a little before 9:00. In all, it was a good 5 ½ hours of stamping. I think I did around 700 letters myself, with Adriana picking up the other half. That amounts to 2100 stamps placed on letters today.

I need to get some sleep soon. I’m on the advance staff for Sen. Edwards’ visit tomorrow. Michelle negotiated that Adriana, her sister, and myself would get to personally meet Edwards. I’m still waiting for the call from Ed, the young Kerry campaign worker who’s organizing the event.

It kept me occupied to say the least. What else was I going to do? I’d much rather be around people, even if the job is mundane. And the Bud Light was an added surprise. I think I’ve found my beer of choice. I hated the Coors Light beer. I did feel like I was going to throw up at time tonight. Maybe it’s because I was drinking in too big of sips. I was able to control my gag reflex enough not to make a fool out of myself. I felt myself getting more comfortable as time went on. Nevertheless, I much prefer hard liquor such as Jack Daniels, Tennessee Whiskey.

Now I only hope that the USPS processes it right. I left it with some guy around 9:15. He said he’d put it on the mail truck tonight. If it gets fucked up, I will not be pleased.

-Taylor

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home