Wednesday, January 12, 2005

First Day of Class

Today marked the first day of my Spring semester at FAU. Not that anybody really cares, but here are my initial observations.

U.S. JOURNALISM
Pros:
-No final term paper
-Four essays are worth 40 % of final grade. From my experience, the professor is pretty easy grading papers.
-Class participation is 20 %. Since I rarely miss class, this works to my advange.
-Only two exams. From last semester, the professor wrote exams that weren't too difficult.
Cons:
-Subject matter is rather dry. The history of U.S. Journalism isn't all that intriguing to me. However, I've always wanted to learn more about Woodward & Bernstein (Watergate).

FLORIDA POLITICS & GOVERNMENT
Pros:
-I have an advantage having worked in Florida politics.
-No final term paper
-No presentations like the one I had to do in "Issues in American Politics".
Cons:
-Even though I like politics, learning about the structure of government isn't the most exciting thing.
-3 tests, constituting majority of grade. I suspect this teacher may give tougher exams than most.
-I think the professor may be a Republican. I can't verify it 100 %, though.
-3 hour class from 7:00-10:00 pm.

I'm trying to place this in the larger scheme of my final semester schedule. I'm 100 % certain I'll keep U.S. Journalism. While it might be boring, it'll be a pretty easy A or B. I'm considering keeping FL Politics and Government. Oral presentations was my biggest worry here.

All of this is dependent on my transfer status for next term. I'm thinking of making the trip to UCF this Friday to talk to an advisor. I'll call there tomorrow to make sure I can actually meet someone in person and not waste a drive for nothing. I want to make sure all these courses are approved for transfer. Basically, I don't want to waste time and money on courses that aren't compulsory.

I'll report back tomorrow with similar reports on News Media Ethics and Mass Communication Law. Hopefully the choice of which class to drop will be easy. However, I'm open to the idea of taking 15 credits. I'm thinking I might want to take a heavy load this term and devote summer to earning money for the fall term. The more likely scenario is me dropping either News Media Ethics or Political Parties.

-Taylor

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home