Saturday, October 23, 2004

Exciting day tomorrow

I need to get off this damn computer and try and get some sleep.

We're going to see Hillary Rodham Clinton give a speech tomorrow morning at the Harriet Himmel Auditorium in City Place. The gates open at 10:45, but they recommended we be there a few hours early. They will have big-screen televisions outside to accomodate the overflow. I'm waiting for a call tomorrow morning to clarify our plans. I think Dave might come through for us and get seats inside the building. Dave treats his assistants well and I have no doubt he'll do his best.

Then there's the big Game 1 of the W.S. between Boston and St. Louis. While I'm thinking about the W.S., here's my brief grade of the last four World Series encounters.

2000- Yankees over Mets in 4... F
What an awful series. After all the hype, the Mets couldn't even win a game. As it turned out, not many people outside of N.Y. cared. It went down as one of the lowest rated Series in history.

2001- Arizona Diamondbacks over Yankees in 7... A
This was a truly great series. Schilling and Johnson were awesome for Arizona. Luis Gonzalez 9th Inning, come from behind hit made this a classic series. I was one of the few people who didn't want New York to win after 9/11. September 11 changed some things, but not my hatred of the Yankees.

2002- Anaheim Angels over San Francisco Giants in 7... C
For some reason, I didn't watch any of this Series. It's the only W.S. I haven't cared about in the fifteen years I've followed baseball. Not that it was a terrible series, I just couldn't get into it.

2003- Florida Marlins over Yankees in 6... B+
I can't give this an "A". I reserve that grade for primarily 7 game series. Both LCS series that year were A +++++. The World Series ended up being sort of anti-climactic. I enjoyed it immensely, but I wouldn't call this an all-time great series. Bartmann and Beckett are the two names I remember most from that year's postseason.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home