Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Fight picks

I've decided to begin picking boxing matches in addition to my normal weekly NFL picks. I was embarrassed last week when I erroneously picked Erik Morales to win a unanimous decision over Marco Antonio Barrera. Now I begin the long road to re-establishing my pugilistic credibility. I'll take a couple of big fights and comment briefly on whom I think will win.

If anybody cares to check me, a good boxing webpage is http://boxingtalk.net/

Friday, November 3

Rocky Juarez vs. Guty Espadas... Juarez by Unanimous Decision
It's been three years since we saw Espadas nearly defeat Erik Morales. Since then, his career has been mediocre. Nevertheless, this is a step-up fight for Juarez. Since Rocky doesn't KO people, I won't predict that here. I expect Juarez to win a trademark comfortable UD.

Saturday, November 4

Jermain Taylor vs. William Joppy... Taylor by Unanimous Decision
Don't underestimate Joppy. Two of his three losses have come against Felix Trinidad and Bernard Hopkins in their primes. If this was anyone short of a Jermain Taylor level prospect, I'd give Joppy a chance. But of the 2000 Olympians, Taylor is special.

Jose Luis Castillo vs. Joel Casamayor... Castillo by Unanimous Decision
Very close fight. Castillo is naturally the bigger man in this contest. But Casamayor is a master technician. I think Castillo is simply too physical for the smaller Castillo. This one could be ugly with numerous fouls. In the end, Castillo finds a way to edge it out.

Jeff Lacy vs. Omar Sheika... Lacy by 9th Round KO
Sheika's best days are behind him. He'll be lucky to make it halfway without being cut. I'm no big fan of Lacy, but he has too much power and skills for a faded Sheika to handle.

Manny Pacquiao vs. Gary St. Clair... Pacquiao by 2nd Round KO
I just learned that 122 pound champion Manny Pacquiao is fighting this weekend in the Phillippines. It won't even be close. It won't take more than a couple minutes for St. Clair to hit the canvas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home