Tuesday, November 16, 2004

My favorite recording artists

I may have very well written a similar post a few months ago. But I thought it was time for one of these vanity posts. In no particular order, here are some of my favorite musical acts.

Sorry for any factual errors. I'm still not feeling well and strung out on mild sedatives. I'm sure everyone can get the gist.

U2: I'm currently working on downloading their new CD, "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb". A few months ago, a copy of the CD got lost and radio stations got their hands on it. I want to get it before it comes out on November 23. Almost all the tracks are available online. While I can't expect it to live up to "All that you Cannot Leave Behind", I anticipate a quality CD (not that I'll pay money for it).

Bruce Springsteen: Some people might say that he's washed up. He didn't do much until 2002's release of "The Rising". His song, "No Surrender", was the theme song for John Kerry's campaign. My favorite Springsteen tracks are "Hungry Heart", "Streets of Philadelphia", and "Glory Days". "Lonesome Day", off his latest release, was good too.

Garth Brooks: I'll give credit where credit is due to good country singers. He's had the dignity not to capitalize off 9/11. While he very well could be politically conservative, his music has great meaning. I know people mock him, but he might be the most successful recording artist in history.

Jimmy Buffett: The man knows how to have a good time. This is one singer who I must see in concert one day. I had a chance to see him last May, but chose instead to see Michelle Branch. I'm sure Jimmy will be back in Florida, certainly if he has a farewell tour. People think his songs are all about booze and sex. But listen to songs like "He Went to Paris". Jimmy can produce meaningful songs, too.

Michelle Branch: She's the cream of the crop when it comes to young, female artists. She is head and shoulders above the likes of Britney Spears and Jessica Simpson. She actually writes her own music. "Breathe", "All you Wanted", and "Goodbye to You" are terrific songs. I find her more hot than the aforementioned Spears and Simpson. That's just my opinion, and I'm sure many would disagree with me.

Dixie Chicks: I liked them long before they became an icon of the left. It's a shame that they've been exiled from country music. Most country music singers have sold-out and lost their dignity in the process.

Hilary Duff: This one is sure to be controversial. I wouldn't call her my favorite, but she deserves a spot on this list. If people were honest and didn't worry about societal stigmas, she'd be much more popular. I love her songs like "Come Clean" and "So Yesterday".

Evanescence: Amy Lee does the "goth" act better than most. Her new duet with Seether is decent.

Willie Nelson: Another great country music singer. He's from another era. Old country singers like Waylon Jennings, George Jones, and Johnny Cash are to be commended.

Maroon-5: What a great act. I could listen to "She Will be Loved" all day long, and some days I listen to it a half dozen times or so.

Sheryl Crow: I commend her for longevity. She's stayed at the top for over a decade now.

Kimberly Locke: She really is the "Eighth World Wonder". :) (or maybe I just needed to include a token minority)

ODB: I never listened to his music, but felt the need to give him props here. RIP


1 Comments:

Blogger E. Antonio Cioffoletti said...

Argh! Are you joking? Most of these picks seem outrageous even for you.

Garth Brooks is okay I guess but I roll my eyes whenever I hear any country performer's name mentioned these days.

Hillary Duff is for twelve year olds whose parents drop them off at the mall with a credit card for six hours at a time because they are too lazy to parent.

Evanescence? Since when does the sinistrous Taylor listen to industrial rock?!? What is happening in the world?

I suspect Willie's skin is about as rough as burnt leather. His voice isn't much better. If this were the 1970s I might feel differently.

Maroon-5 is an example of what is wrong with this world! I too was once under their evil spell. And then I woke up and realized their songs to be crap--it's basically "98 Degrees" minus the sex. I am frightened that their singles have remained in the Top 10 for week after week like this. I suspect the people that listen to them are the same that voted for W.

Sheryl Crow is one of few from the "Show Me" state that hasn't married one of her cousins. Her political stances are a mystery to me but I think she might actually be a rare southern Democrat.

Kimberly Locke will soon hopefully be forgotten. She'll go down in history with all of the other "American Idol" losers who got record deals. Justin Curleyhair and the fat black man could also be included in this group--I don't know their names as I don't watch the awful show.

ODB! I won't even comment further. This is a joke in itself. I feel so confident that you are joking here (or have perhaps lost your mind due to your illness) that there seems nothing more to say.

November 19, 2004 at 12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home