Wednesday, November 17, 2004

My story idea

This week, I'm working on finalizing my second reporting project. I chose to do a service article on the flu shot shortage. I figured it was something I could do in a rather short period of time.

I ran around town all day looking for this lady, Judith Davies. She's the administrator at the WPB Health Department. When I reached her office, I was aghast with what I saw. On her door was a picture of George and Laura Bush. It read, "Thank you Mrs. Davies for your loyal commitment. We look forward to working with you for a Republican victory this fall." She ended up being a fairly nice lady. I didn't have much choice but to be non-confrontational. She gave me some good quotes and a wealth of literature.

On Friday, I'm attending a CDC conference on the issue at Bethesda Hospital in Boynton Beach. That should fill in some of the gaps. If I get the energy, I'll write my rough draft tonight. The final is due on Tuesday. Then I have to prepare for the big final story project due in December.

I'm trying to gain more confidence as a reporter. I don't like the idea of reporting simply for class. I feel impotent going into a meeting as simply a student reporter. The key will be for me to feel and act like I have the prerogative to be asking the tough questions in pursuit of the facts.

This story might suck a bit. I'll make the best out of what was, frankly, a mediocre idea. I chose it because I was short on time. I knew my Mom could probably get me some interviews on short notice. Once I get one more source to talk to, I will have reached the minimum of three.

Understand that my writings for newspaper are more sophisticated and structured than these blog entries. I pretty much wing it here at taylorsias.blogspot.com.

-Taylor

1 Comments:

Blogger E. Antonio Cioffoletti said...

As a reporter, it was your job to ask her the tough questions as to why she supported GWB and you blew it! Seriously though, it sounds like getting sources to even look at you as a lowly "student reporter" can be tricky. I don't envy your current position. But it sounds like you are doing a great job.

And I'm sure we all wing it on these LJ/Blog entries. I look over some of my past posts and am horrified at the typos and grammatical mistakes. But I take solice in the fact that other people don't even capitalize--so I'm basically ahead of the game.

November 19, 2004 at 12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home